Sunday, February 22, 2015

Friends to Married in Four Years

My marriage is part of my testimony to how awesome the Lord is and how His plans are always greater than ours.  Things in His will are going to happen.  I have always been fearful of needles and sharp objects.  When I was about 8 or 9 years old, I heard someone say that before getting married, one must have a blood test performed.  It was then that I told myself (and a few others) that I did not want to get married.  I had no use for girls or relationships.  I was just going to spend my time as a boy following sports and not chasing girls.  At one point I realized that deep down I was somewhat interested in girls but it was like on the surface I never pursued any relationships.  I could not come to grips with the fact that I probably was somewhat attracted to some of the girls I knew.  I essentially played hard to get through school, never so much as even attending a 1:00-3:00 dance in the school gymnasium, not to mention (gasp) dancing or dating.

By the time I reached high school, I started to pinpoint one or two girls that I did have a lot in common with; that were Christians, did appreciate sports, and were generally fun to be around.  However, both prospects were “taken” at the time.  I did begin to admit in prayers that I guess I could get married if I ever met the perfect one.  I would pray that the Lord would lead me in the right direction.  If it was meant to be, it would happen.

By the time I reached college, I had still never been on a date, let alone been involved an all out relationship.  I definitely began to take greater notice of the females, and also became aware that so many of the girls out there were full of one flaw or the other.  I know that Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but I wanted my future wife to be “perfect”; just right.  She had to be a Christian.  She had to share a lot of the same interests as me and have similar moral values.  It was as if I had a list in my brain of prospects that could be crossed off the list if I knew they weren’t a Christian, hated sports, smoked, drank, used profanity, etc.  The list of “prospects” was very short.  However, through the peace of the Holy Spirit, I never feel that I worried.  I always thought I’d be content to live alone, watch sports, and be happy.  If that perfect woman was out there, then I knew I would be led to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment